Sunday, June 04, 2006

Weekend Baking: Pineapple tarts

I never thought I will have a chance to bake Pineapple tarts again before Chinese New Year. Frankly, I have quite a thick pile to " to try list" which could last me for months. But a friend called and asked if I am interested to help to bake some pineapple tarts for an upcoming event for a good cause. What can I say? I am more than happy that she finds my tarts worth selling!

So, before the actual sale, I need to make one batch again. Just to be sure I get the proportion of the ingredients right. Anyone who made pineapple tarts before know that these goodies are real time and labor consuming. First, I have to cook 2lb of crushed pineapple into a thick jam. That took me one and a half hour. I am only thankful that I don't have to grate the pineapple myself. But then of course, if I am willing to go that extra mile, the pineapple tarts would have turn out even nicer...

On the next day, I made the dough, and rolled the pineapple jam into same size balls. Normally, I am not too particular about making all tarts into the same size. Because I need to tell my friend the amount of ingredients needed and also the yield, I painfully scooped out equal size of filling and dough onto the baking sheet....

After all this work, I am rewarded with 56 pineapple tarts. 2 days of work and only 56 tarts. No wonder the tarts cost a bomb....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails