Friday, June 09, 2006

Picnic Food : Chicken Satay, sushi and banana cake!

I made satay sauce using Ina Garten's recipe yesterday.And it tastes quite like the real thing I had in Sabah. Isn't this ironic? Learning my own country's food from a foreigner? Considering the sauce is made from scratch, Ina Garten's version is really quite authetic.


Satay Sauce (makes 1.5 cups)

[A]:
1 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
2/3 cup small diced red onion (1 small onion)
1.5 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
1.5 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
[B]:
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp dry sherry
1.5 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice

Cook [A] in a small pan on medium heat until onion is transparent. Whisk in [B] and cook for 1 min. Cool and use as a dip for the chicken. This can be kept in refrigerator for a month.

When I excitedly present the sauce to OCT, he said it was not as good as the Singapore's version. Well, what can I say? An American's recipe + Malaysian's interpretation is not going to taste anything like Singapore Satay! We then spent some time arguing which country has better satay...quite pointless actually.

My point is, the satay sauce I made, taste like the Malaysia's version. And I am happy about it! I put the chicken strips that I marinated overnight under broiler just now, and this is what I get:


Nothing close to the BBQ version, but better than none for the time being, until we go back Malaysia / Singapore for the real thing....

And I also make some sushi, to finish up the nori sheets. I think I won't have the craving for sushi for sometime after eating sushi twice this week.

And a banana cake, using Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe again.

Apparently, OCT's colleagues like my banana cake with dark chocolate ganache! Yeah! And now, I have a few bananas being frozen to be used at a later time. Guess I will stick with this banana cake recipe in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been quietly following your blog for a while after stumbling upon it, and have been enjoying all your posts : ) But I'm a little sad you seem to have stopped sharing your recipes : (

Would it be possible to share this peanut sauce recipe at least? Thank you in advance.

Mandy said...

Hi Ling,
Thanks for visiting my blog!
I have just updated the satay sauce recipe in this entry.
Feel free to let me know if you need other recipes that I didn't include in the blog.
Sometime I am too lazy to type out the recipes I found on the cookbooks, and later regretted for not doing so.....

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks so much for posting the recipe! : )

I've tried the recipe out already and it's nice! Thanks so much for sharing.

Really enjoy your blog, keep up the good work and all the nice recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails