Monday, June 19, 2006

Using what is in season : Strawberries Tart


I made a strawberries tart to bring to a friend's house warming last Saturday. When whatever fruits are in season, they are often cheaper and tastier! Noticing the arrival of strawberries season, I have accumulated a few recipes featuring strawberries. Can't wait to try all!

But first, this Strawberries Tart that I made. The recipe came from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. I noticed a few bloggers have tried the tart with rave reviews, so I thought I would join the band! Because I need to bring this to a gathering, I decided to use the frozen tart dough. You know, just in case I couldn't make the tart shell right from scratch. Maybe I should be more adventurous next time. For the frozen tart dough was a bit too thin to my liking...

I like the idea of using light cream cheese rather than the pastry cream that other recipes suggested. Guess I am not a custard person... Another simple yet tasty recipe from MS, how can I not adore this woman?

Strawberries Tart

FOR THE CRUST:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for handling dough
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

FOR THE FILLING:

1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 to 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup seedless red currant jelly

1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, blend flour, butter, sugar, and salt until moist crumbs form (this may take up to 1 minute). Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.

2. With floured fingers, press dough evenly into pan and up sides. Dip a dry-measuring cup in flour, and use it to press dough firmly into bottom and against sides of pan. Freeze crust until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Using a fork, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up. Cool completely in pan.

4. Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth; spread mixture evenly in bottom of baked crust (still in tart pan).

5. Starting from outside edge, arrange strawberry halves, stemmed side down, in tight concentric circles on cream cheese.

6. In a small saucepan, heat jelly on medium-low until liquefied. Gently brush strawberries with jelly; let set at least 20 minutes. Chill in pan at least 1 hour (and up to 6 hours); remove from pan just before serving.

Note: To hull strawberries, insert the tip of a paring knife below the strawberry's stem. Gently cut around to remove only the base of the stem and the white core.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails