Thursday, June 22, 2006

ST, this is for you: Potato Salad

I want to tell you about this potato salad I made yesterday. It was so good so good so good!
I have no idea that it will be that good judging from the simple list of ingredients. Maybe because I actually follow the recipe, and bother to use my measuring spoon and cups to measure the ingredients. I even use a scale to weigh the potatoes! All these are worth the effort. The potato salad turns out perfect. Maybe my standard is low, but this is exactly how I like my potato salad. It reminds me of the potato salad I had at Starbucks. I know this is weird. It's Starbuck that I found my favorite potato salad, of all places. So, if you like Starbucks' kind of potato salad, have a go at this. It may not be exactly the same as theirs, but it reminds me of them.Not any Starbucks, I am referring to the Singapore Starbuck...The only modification I make is to reduce the mayonaise. Oh, and I used the light Mayo. I can hardly wait to make it again.

While doing the research on a potato salad, one site mentioned that the key is to mix the potatoes with the dressing while they are still hot. The reason is because the dressing will coat on all surfaces of the potatoes.

Another reviewer, however, mentioned that chilling the potato salad for a few hours is important for the favour to mend.

I would have tried both suggestions, if I was not rushing out after the potatoes are cooked. But I did chill the salad for 3 hours! No pics for this recipe though. I don't think the picture do any justice to the potato salad. It just look like the normal, humble potato salad.


Potato Salad

2 pounds Idaho potatoes (about 5 potatoes, I used russet potatoes)
2 jumbo eggs, hard boiled
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (I used slightly less than 1 cup light Mayo)
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


In a large pot, add potatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain and cool. Peel cooked potatoes and cut into small chunks. Put in a very large serving bowl or container. Peel and finely chop hard boiled eggs and add to bowl. Add mayonnaise, green onions, celery, mustard, white pepper and salt. Mix until just combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving.


Serves 5 as side dish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails