Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More rice on the table....

Bring on the rice! For the benefit of my rice-deprived husband. We have been feasting on Chinese meal since last Sunday. ~ Boring~

However, I manage to inject a bit of surprise every night, so that we can have something to look forward to for dinner. Actually, OCT is easily satisfied with the sight of rice, regardless of the dishes. And I am not particularly motivated to try out new dishes, because I have more EXCITING things to do!

We are going to Washington DC this coming Sunday! I have been busy in doing research on the "must see, must go and must eat places in DC". And I am overwhelmed by the vast information the ever wonderful Internet provides. I have our flight and accomodation booked, and itineary planned. Now I only need to think of what cake/ cookies to bake for this coming trip.

Allow me to digress from my usually food related entry. I am really excited about this trip. Incidentally, we will be in the nation's capitol on its National Day! I have heard so much about its marvellous firework at night, which attracts tourists and citizens to the Capitol for the event itself. A certain must see! Afterall, we will be conveniencely there, staying just 2 blocks away from the White House.

Because of the research I am conducting, I have somewhat throw my apron aside and digress from my daily baking related internet sites to other travel sites...Nevertheless, I managed to try a new recipe yesterday, and it was a good one! OCT commented that the dish was " refreshing". How true! With the combinations of a few acidic ingredients, the sauce turned out to be surprisingly refreshing. Almost making me succumb to another helping of rice....

It's a fish dish, which we seldom eat due to the lack of fresh fish here. Or rather the expensive price tag that comes with the fish. Well, I used frozen tilapia for this dish, and it turned out nice! And I promise that no one will know they were frozen. I don't have the five spice powder, so I just sprinkle the fish with some salt, pepper and paprika before saute. The highlight is really the sauce in my opinion.

Five- Spice Tilapia with Citrus Ponzu Sauce

2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World) (I used fresh ginger)
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder (substituted with paprika)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
2 teaspoons canola oil

Combine green onions, juices, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and ginger in a small bowl.
Combine five-spice powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of fish evenly with spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from skillet.

Add the sauce into the same skillet to deglaze the skillet. Pour the sauce onto the fish once it comes to a boil. It should take less than 10 seconds.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails