Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Martha's Banana Caramel Cake

I have been eyeing this recipe for as long as I have the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook. The only reason that I have not tackled it till now is because of lack of patience. The recipe requires the usual baking of 2 banana cakes, cooking bananas in caramel sauce, and frosting! And I don't really have a special occasion to make a celebration cake.....

Still, here I am, making the cake nevertheless, because I have plenty of time to kill, and a bunch of very ripe bananas to use. And I thought I can ask OCT to bring the cake to his lab meeting on Friday. Later, he told me that his colleague has just bought a banana cake to the lab on Monday. Think I better make something different for his Friday meeting....

Martha's banana cake tastes nice even without the frosting! In fact, I think it will be better off without the frosting. The cream is a bit too sweet and milky. It is a mascarpone frosting. But I think the only way for mascarpone cheese to shine, is with kahlua and coffee. In the Tiramisu. Not in any other recipe. Well, that's what I think.

But I like the caramelised banana in the middle of two cakes. It gives the banana cake its character. The visible banana flesh screams "I am a banana cake, come eat me!", to me, at least.
As the recipe is not found online, I will have to type it out sometime later....

But here's the picture of the banana cake:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails