Monday, January 02, 2006

Second attempt on biscotti

Ok, my curiousity has finally pushed me to go Starbuck and bought a piece of chocolate-hazelnut biscotti, and a cup of my favorite cafe-mocha, of course. I was totally devastated that it tasted sooooo good compared to my chocolate dipped orange biscotti....

Once home, I was motivated to give biscotti a second try, after knowing how it shoud taste, and searched on all my available resources for another recipe for biscotti. I got one from "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook", which i borrowed from the library. It's a recipe for "Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti". After much examination of the ingredients used in the Starbuck's biscotti and Martha's recipe, I decided to give it a try, but halving the recipe, just in case I fail again.

There were some descriptions that I was cluelss, like "beating the eggs and sugar until ribbon-like trait is formed for a few seconds when the whisk is lifted". What the heck was that? I proceed nevertheless, and beat the eggs, hoping that the phenomenon described would magically appear. And you bet, it didn't happen. At the point when the mixing bowl got a little hot, and the whisk started to sound and look weird, I turned the mixer off and used hand to mix the dough.

It certainly didn't look as effortless as Martha did it on her daily TV show. After i assembled the oversize biscotti onto the baking sheet, I secretly prayed that it would turn out nice, or at least edible.... And thank God that it did turn out delicious! I finally got the taste right, nevermind about the ribbon-like trait that didn't appear... Here is how it looks like:


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails