Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seafood Quiche

Seafood Quiche

Quiche is one of my favorite brunch items. I love its simplicity and adaptability. Use any cheese and protein you like, or make it vegetarian. There are endless possible combinations. When I first started baking, quiche was one of the first few things I learned to make. It was a good starting point, for the outcome greatly boasted the confidence of this novice baker.

Of course I must admit that I had help. I used the store bought pie crust insteads of making my own! A practice I still keep now. As much as I love baking from scratch, having a box of Pillsbury Unroll and Fill Pie Crust in the freezer offers me the spontaneity when the craving strikes.

Seafood Quiche


The original recipe comes from Clark, who uploaded his recipe on allrecipe.com. I have made the recipe many times and switched the cheeses and proteins with other varieties. The results are always delicious.

This seafood version was made for a lunch party at our place a while ago. My friends loved it and asked for the recipe. I am sharing it with you here and I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!


Seafood Quiche
adapted from here

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

filling:
4 slices thick sliced bacon
1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (about 5 ounces)
1/2 cup (4 ounces) of low fat sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely diced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely diced
1.5 cups of cooked seafood (prawn, crab, mussel, scallop etc)
1 cup of Shredded Monterey Jack cheese + Shredded Cheddar cheese + grated Parmesan (or any hard cheeses you like)
4 eggs
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Unroll the pie crust onto a 9-inch oiled pie plate. Keep it in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

Cook spinach according to package instructions. Allow to cool, then squeeze dry.

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in cooked seafood and cooked bacon. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spread into pie crust. Layer with bacon mixture. Mix together Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Parmesan, and sprinkle over pie. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and pour over pie.

Place pie on baking sheet, and bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top will be puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

19 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

This is my kind of meal! Looks awesome! It's very comun here to mix seafood with meat, so the fact it has bacon, for me makes it sound so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Nice work - perfectly golden crust and nicely set filling.

Manggy said...

I've always been very disappointed with quiches-- they seem to be always underseasoned and bland. But I do trust you when you say this comes out great always, as it does look magnificent!

Finla said...

Wow that quiche looks so inviting and delicious.

Mari said...

What a beautiful quiche! Your new banner is super cute, too...love it!

Deborah said...

I love quiche as well, although I don't think I've ever had a seafood version. This looks amazing!

Debbie said...

Your quiche looks delicious. I love quiches and the variety of ingredients you can use in them....I will have to try yours.

Anonymous said...

hi, your quiche looks really good..but what is half-and-half?

Andrea said...

Oh, I loooove quiche. This one looks great. I've been reading your blog for a while, but have never commented. Just wanted to let you know that I've linked to you!

Maria said...

That is quite the quiche! It looks gorgeous and super tasty!

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting. It's a little unusual for people from my background to mix seafood and cheese, so I'm always surprised when I see recipes calling for both. It looks great, like maybe a great brunch buffet item.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Seafood quiche...yum, sounds like my kind of food. ;)

avesta said...

This looks great...and I love seafood in anything. I'm dying to try it!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

now this is one quiche i have not tried. I'm just trying to fathom all these flavours. Yummm !!

Jo said...

I like to make quiche whenever I have my own shortcrust pastry around in the freezer. It is so versatile, I could put anything I like, even leftovers. The quiche looks good, Mandy.

Kana said...

Good job, Mandy!

Manuela © said...

I love quiches too. I make it pretty often. Yours looks delicious :)

jeri said...

Oh, my husband would seriously love that!

MsJoanne said...

Lovely! I made some changes. I used goat cheese instead of the jack mix, added asparagus and red pepper, along with pancetta, and put some saffron in with the egg mixture. I topped it with spots of goat cheese and slices of tomato.

Mom liked it so much, she had seconds which almost never happens.

Related Posts with Thumbnails