Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Prata Dogs

prata dog


Note: A few of you have mentioned that the correct spelling for Prata should be PARATHA, as the wrappers in the photo below are spelled. Yes, that should be the correct spelling. But from where OCT and I come from, people usually just refer to it as Prata. Hence the title I've given this dog and my entry. If anyone know how the A and H got omitted from Singapore's version, please let me know.

Yesterday's Martha Stewart Show was all about hot dog , I couldn't help developed a sudden hankering for hot dog after watching the show. While the Ditch Dog sounds intriguingly delicious, it wasn't something I want to make just for myself on an uneventful weeknight. Just then, I remember the unique "dog" I've seen on my friend- Happy Home Baking's blog not long ago.

Insteads of using the traditional hot dog bun, the sausage is wrapped inside a prata (or roti Paratha), making it a Prata Dog (or Paratha Dog). For the uninitiated, Prata is a kind of flatbread enjoyed throughout Singapore and Malaysia. Conventionally, it is served along with curry sauce, although I like to just simply pan fry and snack on it when I am too lazy to make lunch/dinner. Eating a piece of prata is like eating a chewy piece of puff pastry. I wish I could give you a succinct description on the unique texture of prata, on how flakiness and chewiness coexist in a simple piece of flatbread; unfortunately it's beyond my realm now. However, I strongly encourage you to grab a pack of frozen prata the next time you visit the Asian grocery store. They are located at the freezer section, alongside the frozen chinese buns. They make a great snack anytime of the day and would be a great vehicle for hearty curry sauce. I think prata will be perfect served with this too.

Frozen Prata

Moving on to the prata dogs. The process couldn't be more simpler. First, have your sausage cooked, whichever way you like. Let it cool for a few minutes. Next, take out the frozen prata from the freezer, and cook according to the instruction at the back of the package. Which basically means, heat a skillet to medium heat, and drop the frozen prata onto the hot skillet and let cook for 1.5 minutes per side. No thawing required. And no oil needed too. Isn't that neat?

prata before and after

Once the prata is cooked, just wrap a sausage inside ,cut a few slits on top (which is optional) and bake for 5 minutes @ 350F. Serve with ketchup, mustard, hot sauce or even BBQ sauce and enjoy. Or better still, squirt in the sauce on the sausage before rolling up on the prata skin. I need to try this next time.

prata dog

Mine didn't turn out as puffy as Happy Home Baking's, but they were just as delicious. :)

32 comments:

Manggy said...

You know, I do see frozen Roti Prata at the local deli but I haven't bought them despite my love of roti canai-- I've just been obsessed with eventually trying to make it by hand! Even though I will likely fail. In any case, these hot dogs look like the ultimate snack (Oh, I SO know what you mean by developing a hankering after JUST seeing it), maybe you could even serve it dunked in curry! ;) But maybe I do like mine to be griddled in butter, because I'm bad that way, haha :)

Boskey said...

They look yummy, however the flat bread photographs shown are that of 'Paratha', which is an Indian flat bread.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

This looks delicious! When I saw the picture I thought it was puff pastry, but prata actually sounds much more interesting! I think I would prefer that to a normal hot dog!

Anonymous said...

Looks good but I'm not sure it would satisfy my craving. When I crave I usually have to go for something classic or I just keep wanting more.....bad sign, I'm sure!

Finla said...

Here in out TV they only shows the martha show which is atleast 1 year old.
This prata dogs looks so gelicious.
Have to check out the other links you gave too

Maria said...

Great creation! These look fun to make and eat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, these are going to be a hit here - my brother and sister will love them!

Deborah said...

These look so good!! I've never had prata before. There is not an Asian market close, but next time I run across one, I'm going to be looking for prata so I can make these!

Katie said...

Yum!!! I didn't know you could buy these in the store I will look for them.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! But just FYI: a paratha is a very important part of sout, and south asian cuisine. it was taken to Malaysia when South Indians moved there in droves mostly for trading purposes waaay back in the day.
And the Malaysian parathas you find frozen are AWESOME. But please, please, would you listen to the slightly neurotic pedantic person in me and spell is like the label does? P-A-R-A-T-H-A.
(The T is aspirated and so the h performs a very important liguistic function here).
I know, I know. It's a minor, minor thing, but it hurts my ears.

:-)

--M

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea! I LOVE roti prata bread. I have to admit, I eat it at Flat Top all the time. I would love to make something with it like this! Mmmm...

Anonymous said...

In Greece they have these but is a kind of flat puff pastry, kind of between puff pastry and a paratha. As a kid I usedto love them and I just regret not being able to get them anywhere else. Anyway, I saw this recipe of yours and I am going to try it out. I hope you do not mind I have added it to my blog as one of the things I want to try (full credit and link given)

Jason said...

Just like someone said... these in Malaysia are AWESOME. When I was living there I bought them every week. Funny thing is that I also did something just like this recipe suggests and wrapped them around hotdogs... But, I later got in trouble for it because in Malaysia its a muslim food, and it offended some others that I was eating it with pork. I was living in a furnished apartment and the cleaning lady noticed. Well the next day after work I came home and all the cooking supplies were gone! Pots, pans, everything! I found out they didn't want me cooking pork with their things. Well, I can respect that, but they also didn't like me eating prathas with pork hot dogs... oh man!

Unknown said...

what a great idea... simple, yet elegant... thanks for sharing... :)

Anonymous said...

Can I be a little ridiculous, and say, why not stick a slice of american cheese (or whatever cheese you like), and squirt some ketchup on the sausage before rolling it up...that would be divine:)

Rasa Malaysia said...

You're so creative. I have never thought this is possible!

LyB said...

I haven't craved a hot dog in a long time. But I'm craving one now! I have to find those frozen pratas. :)

Anne said...

My family loves eating prata...minus the curry sauce. Surely with cheesedog on it would make it even more appealing to them :)

Chibog in Chief said...

this is absolutely mouth-watering :-) !!! love the idea of prata with hotdogs! this is so perfect for apperitif parties

Anonymous said...

this sounds incredibly delicious. I fancy myself eating a couple of these!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

That looks like a super quick and easy meal. My kids would love it!

Snooky doodle said...

These look nice and fattening :-) But all that s delicious is fattening anyway So give me some please :-)

fatboybakes said...

hi mandy, FABULOUS stuff you have here!!! do you have any roots in my part of the world? (SE Asia) what a brilliant idea, i am gonna try these prata dogs....maybe with fresh roti canai.

RecipeGirl said...

What a fun way to do hot dogs!

Anonymous said...

I am so craving that right now! they looks so yummy and perfect as appetizers at a dinner party!

daphne said...

I have been seeing this around lately! Boy, they really look good.. I'm abit fearful of the calories though!!!

Mandy said...

Mark,
making it from scratch?! I don't think i am up to that yet. But I have full confidence that you will likely to succeed, when you make up your mind to attempt it one day. :)

boskey,
yes, you are right. It's paratha, we call it Prata in Singapore though. Not sure how the A and H got omitted in translation. :p

M,
see the note I added on the top of the entry. :)

ossi,
sure! I hope you like this unusual dog!Let me know what you think after you try it!

jason,
Great minds think alike. Although i must add that this genius idea doesn't come from me. On the other hand,I didn;t know that pork hotdogs are available in Malaysia!

fatboybakes,
Thanks!I am a Malaysian too. ;)

Daphne,
I know what you mean....that's why I only made three. One for me, two for hubs.

clumsy cookie, Dana, happy cook, Maria,Patricia, Deborah, Katie, Hillary, Mikky, Bee, Lyb, Dhanggit, Cookie Baker Lynn, Anne, snooky doodle, recipe girl, Veron,dirtykitchensecrets,
thanks! I wish I could share a piece with everyone!

Anonymous said...

HIHI i first saw this pic on Flickr. Then realised you have a food blog and then realised you are a follower of HHP blog, which I also frequent! We all love Pratas here in Singapore. We do eat it on its own, with egg beaten in it (mixed with raw dough then pan fried) and dipped with sugar or curry. It tastes fantastic!

Dazy said...

Delicious looking and delicious tasting and quite simple to make! I've never made this before. This is pure delight and I'm sure to make them again.

AJ@Kampong said...

Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

AJ@Kampong said...

Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

Yii-Huei said...

This is a brilliant idea! I use frozen roti prata ALL the time (I'm Malaysian, and it's the closest thing I can get in Australia!) that is made right at home :) I can only imagine that this would taste really delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails