Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter and a Sweet Gift of Chocolate Truffles

Happy Easter everyone! :)


I am one who is bad at sending greeting cards on time. More often than not, my friends receive birthday cards and presents from me long after their actual birthdays. And my Christmas cards only arrive in January!

So I just want to quickly sneak in and wishes everyone who celebrate Easter a blessed Easter!

I haven't eaten a single chocolate egg yet since they make their debut on 15 Feb, a day after all valentine merchandises were off the shelves. Simply because I am a cheapskate who rather wait for massive clearance sale after Easter! I wonder if any of you will go for the after holiday sale for more chocolate eggs? Hopefully not, that means there will be more left for me! :)

truffles

Meanwhile, here's a sweet little something I made for OCT's colleagues this week,as a gesture of appreciation for the fantastic farewell party they threw us. (ok, his PI, Prof RK paid and hosted us, but still everyone made an effort to turn up and the company was great!)This truffle recipe which I saved since Christmas from Warda of 64 sq ft kitchen makes a perfect edible gifts. I made them with the leftover egg yolks from another recipe and they were delicious.

truffle2

This truffle recipe from Chef Jacques Pepin is different from the one that I am accustomed to, in which heavy cream is used insteads of egg yolks. However, upon reading Christine's rave review after making the truffles, I know I need to try it when the right occasion arises. I ended up making 2 flavors- Irish Cream and Grand Marnier. Some modifications were adopted to utilise what I had on hand. For instant,Bailey Irish Cream was used instead of espresso because I love Bailey in everything and was simply too lazy to brew espresso at that point. I also omitted orange zest that the original recipe suggested, because guess what? I had run out of orange. On hindsight, I should have added some meyer lemon zest into it. Because the flavor of the grand marnier truffles was milder than what I like. Maybe a little more booze would help. I need to try that again later this week.

truffle


I am also sending these bittersweet gifts over to Danielle of Habeas Brulee who is hosting this month's Sugar High Friday. Be sure to check back her on 28 March to read about the sweet gifts other bloggers have whipped up for the event!

Delicious truffles from other blogs:
Matcha White Chocolate Pralines with Pistachios
Orange Truffles
Marble Swirl Truffles

38 comments:

Helene said...

You can't go wrong with truffles, especially at Easter! The flower shot is just mesmerizing!

Anonymous said...

Your truffles look delicious! Always love the look of pistachio's.
The egg yolk had something to do with a certain challenge? ;)

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Happy Easter to you Mandy :)

Margot

Elle said...

Ooooh, those are gorgeous!

Ginny said...

Happy Easter! I love the tulips and the truffles! With the truffles popping up everywhere, I think I need to try. Any tips for rolling them so nicely?

Rachel said...

They look great!

Stardust said...

Happy Easter, Mandy. Your truffles look gorgeous! I'm sure that they taste as good as they look.

Anonymous said...

is it wrong that i want to eat these for breakfast? because i do.

i've never heard of using egg yolks in truffles - i'm intrigued, and must try this immediately.

Dwiana P said...

flowers look great as well as those chocolate truffles. Hiya I can't stop eating chocolate!
Happy Easter for you and family.

MPG said...

Ha! what are the chances we both post truffles today...Yours look great! and the flowers are breath-taking! Happy Spring & Easter!!

Rasa Malaysia said...

ZOMG, Mandy, I made your pineapple tarts this weekend and they are sooooooo good. Thanks so much I will post it soon.

You rule the baking department girl. :)

Anonymous said...

These truffles look out of this world! I never made truffles in my life - maybe never dared:) The time has come I think:) You are such an inspiration!

Shari said...

Pistachios, chocolate, bailey's...how can you go wrong. They look amazing.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Beautiful! I also made truffles over the weekend for the SHF. Great minds think alike right?

Veron said...

these truffles are gorgeous...especially with pistachios.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Those truffles looks great, and so professional!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Lovely truffles! Happy Easter!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your "sweet little things"!

Peabody said...

The truffles look great, though I am loving the flowers.

daphne said...

oh so pretty! These truffles look divine. Lucky person who will receive this as a gift. =)

Big Boys Oven said...

so lovely, how can I resist such temptation?

Ladybird said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by! I love the deco on your chiffon cake :)

Rasa Malaysia said...

Mandy - I made two trays of pineapple tarts again just now. I added 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening tonight and they turn out even better. The shell is soooo crumbly it melts in my mouth. So good...more like pineapple shortcakes. ;)

Rita Sella said...

Hello Mandy....I feel honored that you came to visit my blog ^_^..

your blog is so greeeaaatt... love all your pictures and the way you style them ^_^.

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hey Mandy - Love the tulip shot and the truffles look soooooo inviting!
You won't feel bad about sending out greetings late when I tell you I don't send them at all! All I send are loving vibes and hope friends and loved ones get them! HA!HA! No, I prefer to call instead ;o)

Mansi said...

These look simply divine!! I just saw the matcha truffles on Meeta's blog and now this! hmm..I really need to make truffles now I think:)

Hope you ahd a wonderful Easter!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are always a feast for the eye and your recipes enticing! These truffles look evocatively delicious!
Ronell

Jo said...

Finally found a Sabahan blogger! We are from the same state. My hometown is Sandakan but did stay in KK for some years. I like your blog and photos!

The Apron Queen said...

These look almost too lovely to eat! But not for long! I may have to try these this weekend!

Stop by for a visit. I'll even save a truffle for you! :D

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

Salt N Turmeric said...

Hi. Came here fr Rasa Malaysia. Iv only seen the 1st page of ur blog and already falling in love w it! You made making truffles sounds so easy. Im def gonna give it a shot! ;)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Truffles always make great gifts. I make my own too. Always a hit and a treat.

Anonymous said...

Your truffles look delicious! Hope you had a Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Hey, lovely truffles!!! Tried to call you earlier but looks like it's not working anymore. Anyway, hope the move is smooth! Speak soon!
Soo Teng

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mandy, these are truly spectacular photos!

Anonymous said...

These truffles look incredible. I love Swiss truffles. Have you ever tried Handrolled Swiss chocolate ganache truffles coated with toasted coconut? It is the most unbelievably incredible thing you will ever happen to put in your mouth.


Thank you for these wonderful pictures and this post.

Kayerra

gift to Philippines said...

Yeah! this chocolate truffles is a sweet gift. Wish someone also send me like this. It really looks so yummy.



-pia-

Cin@ artificial silk flowers said...

That chocolate truffles sure look really delicious, perfect gift :) the flower photo is nice as well.

~Cindy mae

Florist Sydney said...

These truffles looks so delicious, a perfect gift not just for Easter but for any occasions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails