Sunday, March 16, 2008

25 Things about myself

I was tagged by Medena, My cooking hut, Aran, Ginny and Happy Home Baking for the 5 things meme. Does that mean I have to tell you 5x5 things about myself? Alright, here it goes:


nai you prawn

Prawns in Sabah, my hometown is cheap and good


About my photographs,
1. I am currently using a pentax K100D with SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 and am loving every minute of it.
2. Yes, I photoshop all the photos you see in my blog.
3. The few functions of photoshop that I know how to use, include auto level, contrast and auto color.
4. I try to take most of the photos under natural light. Normally around 10-11a.m or 3-5p.m, the time when there's enough natural light .
5. I use the aperture priority setting with aperture set between 2.8-3.5 most of the time.

Laksa

Laksa, in the hawker store near OCT's


About baking,
1. I don't use a timer when cooking/baking...and always forget how long my cakes/cookies have been baking. But I make sure I keep a close watch on them.
2. I can never level a cake nicely. As a result, the layer cakes always turn out tilted like the Tower of Pisa.
3. I lack the imagination required for cake decoration. So I opt for simple chocolate glaze most of the time.
4. I believe that a layer of chocolate glaze make everything taste better.
5. I have never made custard before. Probably because it is not something that I like in particular.

kam hiong crab

Crab, must eat seafood in Sabah.


About myself,
1. I love to sing. I went karaoke with my friends frequently when I was in Singapore.
2. I don't believe you have to spend a lot of money to get delicious food. Food prepared with tender loving care from our loved ones is the best.
3. I like to seek out where the locals go for unpretentious, delicious food whenever I travel.
4. I wanted to learn photography and photoshops from books, but that never materializes.
5. I am the eldest child and my brother is 2 years younger.

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad

Random shot, on the rare occasion that I eat lunch.


6. My favorite person in the entire world is my grandpa Jimmy. Sadly, he passed away when I was 1o years old.
7. When I was 4-5 years old, I asked my grandpa to get me a star in the sky. I thought all he needed was a stair in our store room.
8. I am my grandpa's favorite grandchild. He used to shower me with gifts when he returned from travel.
9. The local food I love to eat include: laksa, prawn noodle and "kou rou" (pork belly) when they are done right. But chocolate remains my absolute favorite, the darker the better.
10. I don't care about the presentation of food, as long as it's tasty.

IMGP7104

Vegetarian meal, prepared by one of my best friends- Khim, for her birthday


11. I am not an adventurous eater, I don't mind eating the same dish in the same restaurant over and over again.
12. I love to cook for others. Hopefully, I can turn this into a career one day.
13. I would rather not read a book or watch a movie with sad ending.
14. I love cheerful colors and OCT says I am easily satisfied.
15. I am planning to go to pastry school in 2 years' time once I save enough money.

CNY eve steamboat dinner with OCT's family

My first year eating Chinese New Year Eve dinner at OCT's. They have steamboat every year

I hope I don't miss anyone who has tagged me for the same meme. I am really not good at keeping track of the tagging game. I am not tagging anyone for this. But if you feel like telling your readers a little bit more about yourself, feel free to do so. And consider yourself tagged. :)

21 comments:

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Wondeful. Thanks for doing this!

Ginny said...

Chocolate glaze does make everything better! Thanks for participating!

Cynthia said...

Wow, you photos are amazing!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

mandy, as usual, the photos are beautiful. n we share common photo-taking habits :)

Anonymous said...

Hi mandy, Thanks for sharing!

Do u know how to make the butter prawns at the top of the photo?

tigerfish said...

You don't care about the presentation of food? But yours is SO GOOD! So professionally taken! Love all the food you featured here.

Mari said...

All that yummy food is making my mouth water!

Nice to learn a bit about you, too.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hey mandy, u know those golden egg strands in the 1st pic? i've tried making them (flavored egg yolks whisked over hot melted butter)n altho they taste good, the strands turn out too thick. do you know how to do them like in the pic?

bp said...

Woo, you are making me hungry with these great snapshots! (Think we should have you sing for us, before you go!) ;p

Anonymous said...

Why does a cake need to be level? I thought that was what frosting was for...LOL

Deborah said...

That was so much fun!!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Chocolate glaze does make everything taste better. Smart girl.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Other than the camera I think we use the pretty much same techniques for the photography. Photoshop rules. OMG, I so need to go to Sabah the next time I go home to MY...those udang and ketam are so calling my name. Drooling...

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hi Mandy, it's lovely to learn more about you - we have a lot in common.
I don't remember if you were one of the bloggers who wanted to know where I got the cupcake cases on my current post from. Just in case you are, they are from Donna Hay.

Anonymous said...

Your so right about the chocolate glaze :)

Lucy said...

"I believe that a layer of chocolate glaze make everything taste better." - I totally agree!
I really like your blog! :)

Lucy said...

"I believe that a layer of chocolate glaze make everything taste better." - I totally agree!
:)

I really like your blog...

Mandy said...

Aran, Ginny,
You are most welcome. :)

nap warden,
thanks!

Terri,
great minds think alike! And the picture was taken in Wellcome restaurant!!! :p

farhan,
hmm...no I don't know how to make it, this is just a dish I ate at a restaurant this last CNY.

tigerfish,
that is because they are for public's eyes. When I cook for friends/myself, the food really look unassuming. :p

mevrouw cupcake,
thanks!

bp,
oh no!!!

mealmixer,
haha, you are right.

Deborah,
Right!

Susan,
Who can argue with that right?

Bee,
You should absolutely visit Sabah!

Carol,
thanks! Don't think I can get that in US though. :(

Linda & Lucy,
yup. Chocolate glaze has saved my life countless time!

Dwiana P said...

#13, I don't like sad ending either:) Reading through about your 25 things and seeing your pictures just make me hungry again:( oh boy, I can't eat more now as it is time to go sleep.

Helene said...

#7 is priceless :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Is all I can say. You have me drooling in my seat with the pictures of laksa and steamboat. I really really must do a steamboat soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails