Monday, July 23, 2007

Cheesecake, the tropical way

Lychee Cheesecake


It's no secret that cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. In fact, I love cheesecake so much that I dedicated one corner of my fridge as the permanent spot for blocks of cream cheese. I just have to have cream cheese at home at all time! It gives me "sense of security" and "empowerment", knowing that I can whip up a cheesecake whenever I feel like eating one.

Summer however, gives the cheesecake monster in me a hard time. Mostly because I am avoiding having any dealing with the oven. There's the option of buying store-bought cheesecake, but that would make me feel like betraying the dozen blocks of cream cheese I already have. My dilemma came to end, when I saw an impressive no-bake version from Ellena's blog.

Her version of no-bake cheesecake even included my favorite tropical fruit- Lychee! Blessed is the one who think of adding lychee in the cheesecake filling. The person should be given some sort of baking creativity award. I went on to ask the lovely Ellena for the recipe, and was given a detailed instructions couple of days later. Don't you just love generous food blogger?

Lychee Cheesecake


Because my cheesecake came up a little too short, I took the liberty to add in another layer of Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream + whipped cream on top of the cream cheese filling. To further heighten the cake, I decorated the cake with some strawberries that I got from the farmer's market, together with the remaining lychee. For the lack of better decorating skill, I shaved some dark and white chocolate on top of the cake, and plucked some mint leaves to cover the spare space. The mint, which we later discovered, went well with the lychee cheesecake!

An icy cold lychee cheesecake is indeed a fitting dessert on a hot summer night. The smoothness of the cream cheese with the hint of lemon in the background balanced the sweetness from the lychee. I also like that there was lychee flesh in every bites of the cheesecake. I could taste the succelent juice from the lychee when they bursted in the cavity.

Lychee Cheesecake, dissected


The canned Lychee I used in this recipe was from the Asian grocery. However, a similar version can now be bought from Trader's Joe too. I saw it just the other day and needless to say, I grabbed a can without hesitation, and couldn't wait to recreate another no-bake cheesecake in my kitchen some time real soon. Maybe I will incorporate mango in the cheesecake next time....

Because good thing is meant to be shared, I am submitting this Lychee Cheesecake for the SHF:Tropical Paradise hosted by a very talented baker-Mary. Lychee in the form of cold dessert is my ideal of Tropical Paradise.

16 comments:

Deborah said...

I, too, love cheesecake, and yours is gorgeous!! I have never tasted lychee before, but now I am very curious. I love the crust of your cheesecake. It's beautiful!

Anh said...

OMG, such a beautiful and elegant cheesecake. Can I just have one slice, pleaseeee?

Cuisine Paradise said...

WOw... Mandy, Your lychee Cheesecake is so lovely with the added strawberries and mint leaves to enhance the colour. :) Em.. although i had not try the lemon cream version but i bet yours will taste just as great as it is.... :p

Thanks for linking your post to my blog too... :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mandy,

Good to see you posting again. :) Lychee Cheesecake sounds like a West meets East dessert.

I like the mix of colors and the use of ladyfingers on the side of the cheesecake. Very unique...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mandy, it looks absolutely stunning!
And so refreshing, too, wow!

Happy Homebaker said...

Mandy, your cheesecake looks so refreshing and yummy!!

Anne said...

I love the color..this looks so yummy!...I'm glad your back :)

SteamyKitchen said...

Its gorgeous honey! I love the colors and flavors..esp lychee.

can i have a slice pls???

:-)
jaden

p.s. need a small fav...can u pls change the link to my site to my new URL? thx!
http://steamykitchen.com/blog

Anonymous said...

I've tried making no-bake cheesecake before, love it! Love your cake and the sponge (lady's )fingers "fence". It's like a fort protecting the cake :D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your cheesecake is so pretty! Love all the fruits on top!

Mandy said...

thanks ladies for your kind comments!

Jaden,
I have updated the link. I have been reading your blog, but simply forgot to update the link. my bad. ;p

Anonymous said...

Oh Mandy...that is to be one of the most beautiful cheesecakes I have ever seen! Very cool.

WokandSpoon said...

Lychee in cheesecake! Mmmmmmmmmmm! I'm speechless!

Alpineberry Mary said...

Lychee is one of my favorite fruits. I've never seen it in cheesecake before but what a fabulous idea! Thanks for participating in SHF.

Sig said...

oh my! it loos beautiful Mandy! Thanks for dropping by my blog... Love your site, very cheerful :)

Anonymous said...

I love cheesecakes & fruits, especially exotic fruits! So... I'm in love with your cheesecake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails