Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Devil's Food White-Out Cake

To make up for the overly sweet yellow sheet cake I made for OCT's defense party, I made another cake for him. This time, a White-Out Devil's Food Cake, which is actually also the cake featured on the cover of Dorie Greenspan's latest book -Baking: From my home to yours.


Only mine wasn't as gorgeous looking as the one she made. And I only got 2 layers out of the recipe, instead of three. I must also confess that my mashmallow filling has somehow collapsed, making the cake looked pretty miserable on its cross section. Eventhough it has been 3 days since then, I haven't solved the mystery of what went wrong with the filling yet. I think I have to give mum a call later to find out what could possibly have contributed to the collapse.

Other than that, the cake itself is pretty tasty. How could it not be? With the most amazing Valrhona cocoa powder, melted 72% chocolate and lots of chopped milk chocolate. The cake is delicious even on its own.


To overcome its embarassing appearance, I chopped up some strawberries as accompaniment. It also make me feel better to eat something healthy together with something so sinfully delicious.


A great celebration cake, I am sure it will make an appearance when the right occassion arises. I hope I would have mustered enough courage to give it another try by then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi!

i also did this same cake twice and also got only 2 layers from the recipe for both time i baked the cake. the marshmallow frosting i did didn't hold out and evaporated, i don't know what happened though since i followed the recipe to the T.

Related Posts with Thumbnails