Monday, January 08, 2007

Chinese Style Stove Top Pot Roast

I think I am slowly getting more organized. For example, I just planned for a whole week's menu. Alright, no big deal. But if you know me, you know how haphazard I am, so this is definitely a good start. After planning what's for dinner this week, I feel a sense of purpose when dinner time approaches.


Tonight we have Chinese Stove Top Pot Roast. Had I not planned for this recipe earlier, I wouldn't be able to serve dinner on time! Because the pot roast took a good 3 hours to cook! Normally I would choose something that can be cooked within a short time, but this recipe has been lying in my to-try-list for awhile; Moreover, it is also one of the staff favorites for October issue of Cookinglight, so I decided to give it a try.

When I have high expectation on something, I can't help getting disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way I expected. My pot roast is a far cry from the authentic Chinese five spice beef stew. It isn't too bad, but just not as good, as those authentic one that I have tried. Having said this, this recipe is one with potential, which I think I will give it a try some other time, with maybe more star anise or five spice powder, and some chinese chilli oil....


Chinese Style Stove Top Pot Roast

(Adapted from Oct 2006 Cookinglight magazine)

Ginger, soy sauce, star anise, and Chinese five-spice powder infuse this dish with Asian flavor. If you can't find fresh Chinese egg noodles, substitute rice noodles or even linguine.

4 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
1 (2 1/2-pound) sirloin tip roast, trimmed
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup dry sherry ( I used red wine)
1/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 star anise
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
2 cups (2-inch) julienne-cut carrot (about 2 large)
4 baby bok choy, halved lengthwise (about 1 3/4 pounds)
12 ounces fresh uncooked Chinese egg noodles ( we eat it with rice)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast evenly with five-spice powder and salt. Add meat to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through star anise) to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduced heat, and simmer 3 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat from pan. Cover and keep warm.
Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add bok choy and 4 cups reserved cooking liquid to pan. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until bok choy is tender.

Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Divide noodles evenly among 8 bowls. Shred the meat with 2 forks; arrange 3 ounces meat over each serving. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup broth. Place 1 bok choy half on each serving; sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails