Sunday, February 08, 2009

Chilli Chocolate Financiers

Chili chocolate for financiers


"I miss leisure baking!" I lamented to Grace when I saw her eclair pictures on Flickr.

Unconvinced, she thought I must have enjoyed the more "professional" baked goods I bring home from school nowadays. To the contrary, that is totally untrue. I miss those days when I could go into my fairly well equipped kitchen and whip up whatever my stomach desires. It could be a recipe I see on cookbook or a crazy idea I dream of. Or an old recipe that never cease to comfort me whenever I am homesick. The whir of kitchenaid in the otherwise quiet apartment and the smell of baked goods that permeated the air was once an important part of my life. So yes, despite the amount of baking I do in pastry school, I still miss leisure baking at home!

As I longingly looked through my photos on Flickr,I found these chili chocolate financiers. I made them awhile ago with some leftover batter from another recipe.

Chili and chocolate seems to be an unthinkable combination. However, to the slightly crazy baker like myself,it's an intriguing idea. OCT winced when he saw me placing two bars of Chili chocolate into the shopping cart.

"Why do you need two? You know I will not eat any" He said.
"It's for an experiment! Besides, it's on sale." I replied.

Chili chocolate for financiers

An experiment indeed! I added some into chocolate chips cookies batter, but the spiciness was neutralized by the copious amount of sugar and other chocolate in the recipe. I topped a chunk on top of these financiers and passed them to OCT's labmates, but no one commented about the slightly spicy note of the chili chocolate. I think it's safe to say that the chili chocolate is better to be enjoyed on its own. As for the financiers, it is a great base recipe which one can try with different toppings and flavors. I am thinking of adding cocoa nibs on top for some crunch, or making a matcha flavor one. It is one of those recipes which doesn't require many gadgets. Perfect for my ill equipped kitchen!

Coming back to chocolate. What is the most unusual chocolate you have tasted?Chocolate bacon anybody?

I used this recipe for my experimental chili chocolate financiers. The same one for my fig financiers.

17 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

THESE LOOK CUTE! I LOVE CHILLI AND CHOCOLATE IT TASTE AWESOME :) explosive combination :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

I've recently discovered the chocolate and chili combination and I really like it. They seem to go well together. Love your Financiers! I'll bet they were delicious!

Sara said...

These are so pretty! I've had the bacon chocolate by Vosges, it was better than I expected.

Anonymous said...

The financiers look great. I love the way the little square of chocolate sits on them -- kind of like a jaunty beret. Very sweet.

thecoffeesnob said...

What a cute idea! I love chili chocolate, Lindt's especially.

Sara said...

Wow, these are so cute! They look delicious. :)

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful. The chili and chocolate combination goes back millenia - the Aztecs preferred it that way. Maybe Lindt just didn't get it quite right? Like I said, the financiers look delightful.

Anonymous said...

Financiers for days! That's how many we could eat. They're so good. Even an unsuspecting person would have to agree a nice bit of the chili would be great with smooth, mellow chocolate.

Altaf said...

Love thwm.....looks cute.
thies days i see lindt chili chocolate in the market, i was thinking to use them in a recipr .Now you gave me the idea.

Thanks

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, these are fabulous! I love how petit and delicate they look.

Manggy said...

Aw, I'm sure you don't regret going to pastry school at all. There'll be plenty of time for leisure later, hee hee :) The financiers look great, and I'm not scared of spice (never had it in dessert much though), so bring it on!

Anonymous said...

These look great! I love chocolate and chili paired together.

Maria said...

These are TOO cute!!

Unknown said...

how cute!!! i'm really intrigued... :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

People ask me if my dream is to own a bakery. No! It wouldn't be fun at all to have to make the same thing over and over. I love the freedom of making what I want when I want. Your financiers look like a perfect outlet for your baking creativity.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that chili chocolate by itself, then. I've tried the bacon chocolate bar from Vosges and really really liked it. It was subtle.

Anonymous said...

What exactly do those chili chocolate bars taste like? I can't imagine that the taste of chocolate would be elevated by the addition of chili powder, but I've heard good things about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails