Thursday, January 22, 2009

My first cake in school!

nougat mousse cake


I brought home a cake yesterday! It was the first cake we made in French Pastry School and it was delicious. :) The cake in the picture above however, is the chef's cake. The poor lighting in my dungeon-like studio is impossible for photo taking without artificial light source. :(

Unlike the cakes that I am used to bake at home, the preparation of the various elements in the cake takes days. This nougat mousse cake for instant, took us 3 days. We made the dacquoise on the first day,the apricot gelee and nougat mousse on the second, and final glazing on the third day. I love that we are making all the elements from scratch and seeing the final cake taking shape day by day.

nougat mousse cake


In the cake classes, we arebeing introduced to many professional products like glucose, trimoline, gelatin sheets, cocoa paste etc that are only used in the professional kitchen. It is going to take some time before I can decipher the nuance of using them in my baked goods as opposed to the normal baking ingredients I have at home.

014


We are lucky to have 2 highly accomplished chefs as our instructors for cake classes. While imparting the techniques and skills in class, they also injected great sense of humour that make learning so much more enjoyable.

More cakes coming up soon!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive. So impressive! Looks like there are slices for us.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Isn't it great? You're learning things and having fun. Can't get much better than that! Gorgeous cake!

Anonymous said...

WOW that is a BEAUTIFUL cake. I'm sure you'd be able to graduate now and make a living out of selling that gorgeous cake.

The Food Librarian said...

This is amazing!!! What a great class. Can't wait to see more of your creations!

Darla said...

Fabulous looking cake--sure wish I was your neighbor so I could have a piece!!

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

how beautiful!

Sara said...

wow, that looks really yummy! :)

tara said...

Beautifully executed; it looks lovely. The pairing of the green, gold and cream makes for a stunning combination. Well done!

Bunny said...

I am so jealous, I would love to learn all the things your learning! The cake is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

this is lovely. im waiting to see your first cake here in your blog. all the best and keep it going!

Muneeba said...

Whoa ... that is one stunning cake! Y'know, some day I too hope to go to pastry school ... so your posts are really inspiring for me. Can't wait to see what else you cook up!

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice cake! i love the perfect layers its got. Cooking classes are really interesting wished i could afford them. I m sure you ll make this cake again with fabolous results. Eager to see more :)

Melisa said...

OMG!! That cake looks like a party for your mouth! Yummo!!!

Finla said...

Wowo just beuatiful.
Wii could go to a school for learning to make these fantastic cakes.
You are going to be a real pro in making all these yummy cakes.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful cake!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, Mandy! I have used trimoline in a cake before and makes it moist even after it is refrigerated.

test it comm said...

Great looking cake! The classes sound like fun.

Unknown said...

WOW never seen a pretty cake like these.
i wish i could have some, only 2 hours from chicago.

Deeba PAB said...

Good for you. To be able to get such a wonderful learning experience. From scratch gives a huge sense of achievement. This is impressive indeed! WOW!! Thanks for sharing this beauty...

sweetalmond said...

WOW!!! gorgeousness!

Altaf said...

WOW........LOOKS VERY PROFESSIONAL!
I ALWAYS WANTED TO TAKE PASTRY COURSE.....I SHOULD SOON.

Avidan Apolskis said...

WOW that looks awesome !

You sound like you're really enjoying pastry school :)

Anonymous said...

Complimenti!!
3 days long but such a result!!
BRAVO!!!
Complimenti for the blog too..
Nishanga

terri@adailyobsession said...

is this a green tea cake? it looks divine, n how did u cut it so precisely?! wish i could taste it!

Manggy said...

Well done, Mandy! I'm so excited for you and I always look forward to more of your pastry school stories and creations! :)

Mandy said...

thank you everyone! I wish I could give each of you a slice of this cake!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would really want to taste that, it looks fantastic! Complements to the ones who worked on it.

Anonymous said...

wow, sure looks deliciously impressive!!! :)) i wish i could bake like that!! so beautiful!! *drool* :P

Anonymous said...

SO amazing... Where do I place orders? Is it weird if I have glucose and trimoline in my pantry? Only used it a few times, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Nice picture. can u give the details of the recipe please.
Thanks
Pamela

niagaragirl said...

Just awesome! I could go for this right now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails