Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cooling down with a bowl of Strawberry Rhubarb Sorbet

sorbet

There isn't much to tell friends when they enquire about my new life in Atlanta. Except that it's hot hot hot here! My brain is sizzling and whatever I make in the kitchen turns out disastrous. Like the rhubarb crumb cake on epicurious.com that many raved about and the traditional madeleines which I made several times with great results before. They all turned out wrong. And yes, I blame it on the weather.:p

Maybe all I need to do in summer months is to churn out batch after batch of sorbets and ice creams. And minimise the contact with oven (and stove). Perhaps, for summer months, my blog should be called "Fresh from the Ice Cream Maker" or something more witty.

strawberry

Remember I told you about the strawberries and rhubarbs I bought from the farmer markets weeks ago? I used some of them to make this refreshing strawberry rhubarb sorbet. Unfortunately, I do not have the precise recipe for you. All I can recall, is I use 2 cups of hulled, sliced strawberries, 2 cups of cooked rhubarb, some simple syrup (50% water: 50% sugar) and a splash of Grand Marnier. Blitz everything in the blender, taste, add more syrup till it tastes slightly sweeter than how I like it; then pour the bright pink mixture into the ice cream maker for it to do its job. Easy Peasy.

strawberry rhubarb sorbet

Such is the beauty of homemade sorbet. You don't really need a recipe. You can personalised it with a splash of liquer and add enough sweetness to your taste. No chemicals or preservatives that even a chemist doesn't know what it is.

19 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

beautiful shot! looks good enuf for a cookbook cover!

Jenny said...

What gorgeous pics of your sorbet! Looks so refreshing and perfect for summer!

Manggy said...

That's just gorgeous, Mandy :) Those red berries are screaming my name! And this heat is telling me that I need some of that sorbet five minutes ago!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mandy, your photos are just fantastic. And so is your food, darling, so don't worry about the other recipes!
This sorbet is just what I needed right now!

Y said...

Those strawberries look amazing, as does the sorbet! Great photos :)

Deborah said...

That color is absolutely gorgeous!

Katie said...

Your pictures are fantastic!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I actually prefer sorbet to ice cream, and yours looks simply divine, Mandy!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Mandy that almost looks like strawberry heaven there ... so many strawberries :p
the sorbet looks so enticing girl. wheres my scoop ??

Grace said...

wow!!this is so beautiful!!!I love the color~looks so refreshing and yummy.hey!You should have brought this to movie this morning~hahaha~~;P
--Grace

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Fantastic looking! The color is gorgeous!

Yujai said...

Lovely lovely color!!!

Chef JP said...

Wonderful job on this recipe!

Helene said...

I feel your pain, I was in your shoes 10 years ago when I moved to SC. It took a little while to adjust my baking but have no fear, it will all come together :)
In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with sorbet if it is as gorgeous as this one!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Hi! This sorbet is gorgeous and looks delicious - am going to try it. Assuming mine turns out as good as yours, would you mind if I add your recipe to one of my web pages? The link is Rhubarb Muffins, Cakes, Sauces and More I would, of course, link to your blog, too.

Mari said...

Do I detect a theme here? ;-) This sounds like a great summer treat, and I've got some fabulous handmade rhubarb vodka that would make it even better!

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the front page of tastespotting (so happy it's back) and my mouth actually started watering. Yummmmm...

Mike of Mike's Table said...

This is one of my favorite flavor combos and it looks like a spectacular sorbet!

skoraq cooks said...

Strawberry sorbet is my favourite summer dessert but it appears that now I have to try rhubarb strawberry option and it will be another summer dessert on my favourites list :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails