Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Give me something cold for dinner

Tomato with Fresh Peach Basil Vinaigrette

I saw this simple recipe from the Southern Living magazine, and it immediately captured my attention. I have been wondering what to do with the fresh tomatoes I got from the farmer's market the past weekend. Normally, they would inevitably end up in pasta,my usual and not-so-creative salad or sandwiches. I mean, what else can you expect a humble tomato to do in spite of its many supportive roles in various cuisines.

Perhaps everyone deserves to be put under the spotlight once in awhile. And for the same reason, tomato was put on the spot, at the center of our dining table not many nights ago.The vines that bear all these tomatoes would be proud,if only they could see how pretty the bright, succulent tomatoes was, basking in the equally delicious peach and basil vinaigrette. And the smile and satisfaction they brought to their eaters' lips. It was a new taste to our palate, but a welcoming one. We ate simply that night, with only this salad and some sliced sourdough. The bread was the perfect vehicle to soak up all the remaining juice on the plate. Do we miss the meat? Not me. But I guess OCT probably thinks that another meat dish won't hurt...

I am submitting this anti-oxidant packed recipe to Cate's weekly ARF 5-A-Day. Be sure to check out the roundup later tonight!

Tomato with Fresh Peach Basil Vinaigrette


Tomatoes with Fresh Peach and Basil Vinaigrette
adapted from Southernliving

1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large peach, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Whisk together first 5 ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in olive oil. Stir in chopped peach and basil. Serve immediately.

Yield
Makes about 1 1/4 cups (serving size: 1 tbsp.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and bingo! I am a peach nut (and discovered how great they taste with tomatoes this summer when I made a peach and tomato gaspacho, with a peach and tomato salsa). I have a few ripe tomatoes on the vine and some peaches... tonight we try out your recipe. Thanks!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mandy, they really deserve the spotlight - what a delicious way of having tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

It's so hot here today! How I wish to share this dish with you. Don't have balsamic right now and can't make it! :(

Mandy said...

blue cat,
thanks for visiting. hope you like this dish too!

patricia,
thanks!

tigerfish,
ya, I can then trade your soba dish or your other delicious creations with you. haha. ;p

Belinda said...

That sounds and looks absolutely amazing, Mandy! A perfct way to use lovely fresh tomatoes. And I enjoy Southern Living magazine too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails