Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Belated St Patrick's Day meal

I intended to cook something Irish on St Patrick's Day. Since we were out of town last Friday, I thought maybe I should cook the planned Corned beef with cabbage as planned on Monday night. This was a very simple dish, almost the same as the cabbage that I can cooked with my eyes shut. The Irish version just add corned beef to my usual cabbage dish. Even though it's simple, I have achieved my mission to cook OCT a St Patrick's Day meal.*guilty*

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon
4 tablespoons butter
1 head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 can corned beef

Method:
Cook the bacon in large pot over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside. Melt the butter in the pot with the bacon grease. Add the cabbage, stirring well to coat the cabbage in fat. Add about 1/3 cup water, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover pot with a lid, and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the bacon into small pieces.
Remove the lid from the pot, and scatter chunks of corned beef and chopped bacon over top of the cabbage. Cover and cook until desired doneness. I personally like a little bit of crunch left to the cabbage.


Tip: Cabbage is one of those vegetables that naturally contains water in its leaves. Begin by adding just a small amount of water. As cabbage cooks, if it needs more liquid, then add more water.


Maybe I will try the Chocolate Stout cake and the Beef & Stout pie after I get hold of some Stouts. I don't remember seeing them in the grocery store here.....Hmm..in case you wonder why I suddenly become interested in cooking Irish food, I must tell you that I like Irish a lot! I have never met an Irish that I don't like. My ex- supervisor was a cute, funny Irish guy, so was my best client in the last job! Irish are fun loving, down to earth and unfeignedly friendly people. They are talented at music too.( I like Corrs), and they created my favorite Bailey Irish Cream!

I should seriously think of cooking a proper Irish meal again. Meanwhile, I can only contrive to come up with a week's of "normal homecook meals" with my limited ingredients....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails