Thursday, April 13, 2006

Lack of motivation....

I haven't tried a single new recipe yet this week....I think I have tried far too many new recipes, to the point that OCT gets confused when being asked what he thinks about certain recipe. He can't recall he tried the dish that I mentioned, let alone its taste. So, I think, it's time for me to slow down, and revisit some old and reliable recipes.

Yesterday, we had Spaghetti Arrabiata. As the temperature climbing, I prefer to eat something simple over rice with dishes....Oh, and I also went out to stock up on my baking supply! When the price of cream cheese goes below one dollar and butter is half price, I greedily shove many blocks into my shopping basket, and can't wait to get started with another round of baking marathon!

OCT helpfully reminded me of the Tiger Cake incident and suggested that I should half the recipe of whatever I make in the future....well, so that he doesn't have to swallow my failure. Heading that advice, I am making half a recipe of Lemon Cake now! It smells so refreshing in the oven, which is soooo different from the rest of cakes I make.

Fast forward half an hour......

I just have a slice of the lemon cake...it's so nice!!!!And it tastes refreshing, definitely the kind of cake that goes well with a cup of tea. What a relief :)

Fast forward another few hours later, OCT was home. I asked him to try the lemon cake as dinner was not ready.

"OMG, OMG, it's so good, it's so good!!!!!!" He giggled with an exaggerated expression on his face.
"I think you should sell this in my Dad's Singapore shop to revive his dying business." He went on.
"Hello, how many lemon cakes do you want? What? I am rude? So do you still want your lemon cake?" OCT went on with his imaginary scenario of taking order for the lemon cake....

Obviously, OCT loves the cake. He bursted into giggles, and continued to talk to the cake/himself..... I know I hit a homerun, for OCT behaved quite abnormal after tasting the cake.

Now, I wish I had made the full recipe....

Ina's Lemon Cake

Makes two 8-inch Loaves

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 extra large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest ( 6-8 large lemons)
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Cream the butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, oneat a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and butermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juic in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.

When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sizes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails