Monday, January 16, 2006

Some trivial thoughts


Lately, for some unknown reason I have fell in love with bald trees. I marvelled at their branches which stood fearlessly in the face of great adversity, and cold. I marvelled at their tenacity and perseverance, so boldly in the winter...All the qualities that I lacked beneath the layers of clothes and skin.

OCT and I talked about depression. I can't remember how we started this conversation.He said it's common here in US during winter, when people can't go out from their home, and everything seems gloomy. I suggested that the depressed people should be given chocolate, reiterating the benefits of eating chocolate eg antioxidant protection, and most importantly the feel good factor, as mentioned by Dr Sarah Brewer:

"Eating chocolate makes you feel good. It increases brain levels of several chemicals, including mood-altering PEA (phenylethylamine, related to amphetamine), which produces a mild, confidence-instilling buzz. Chocolate also contains tryptophan - a chemical converted to serotonin in the brain to lift mood and increase euphoria - and theobromine, a stimulant that peps you up. Chocolate is also virtually unique in that it melts in the mouth at body temperature, producing a silky, luscious sensation that adds to its appeal and, according to psychologists, is one of the main reasons why chocolate proves so addictive."

We are not sure if chocolate was part of the regimens for treating depression, but I would certainly include chocolate in many of my recipes in an effort to combat depression (though I don't even have the slightest sign of depression).

As I ponder on this, I did a quick check on my chocolate stock at home, and this is what I found. And this is just PART of my full stock not to mention that it's growing every week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mei - The chocolates are enough for my whole year's desserts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails