Monday, July 02, 2007

A new favorite

Lemon pound cake with cherry compote

Eventhough I am pretty sure I have found my favorite lemon cake recipe, but when there's a new one showing up in magazine and garnered the test kitchen's highest rating, I know I have to give it a try.

And I want to try it now. Not to chuck it away in my ever-increasing "to-try-list". For the chance of forget-it-all is too high for this forgetful baker. Afterall, I find many reasons to support my case. Such as the imminent Friday treat, and the overripe cherries in the fridge. More imporantly, I need a confident boost after a failed attempt at genoise in the morning (more on that later).

The pound cake is a fairly straightforward recipe, with the addition of an intriguing ingredient in the batter- chopped mint. I have certainly not thought of adding mint in lemon cake. In fact, it is hardly detectable in the cake. But there's a little something lingered on my tongue when I first bite into the cake which I can't put my finger to. I wonder if it's my imagination, since I know I have added mint to the batter. I shall try to omit mint the next time I bake this lemon cake.

Yes, I am telling you that I will be baking this lemon cake again! Because it is moist, tender, lemony and more importantly, has lower fat than my favorite lemon cake. It's pure joy when you step out of your comfort zone to try something new (and good for you), and find yourself loving it.

Lemon pound cake with cherry compote

The cherry compote is a good accompaniment. But I don't think it is compulsory. The lemon cake itself has enough flavor to nudge me into baking it again soon. Although my friend A who ate almost half of the cherry compote on its own in one sitting may think otherwise....

Good things are meant to be shared. Other than with OCT's colleagues, I am going to submit this excellent recipe for
ARF-5-A-Days. Check out the roundup on Tuesday night for more Anti-Oxidant-Rich ideas at Cate's blog. I hope all lemon lovers out there will give this recipe a try.

Lemon Pound Cake with Cherry Compote
Adapted from Cookinglight

Cake:
Cooking spray
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (about 13 2/3 ounces)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Compote:
4 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon almond extract


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare the cake, coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

Lightly spoon remaining 3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine 2 cups granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add rind, juice, and mint; beat just until blended.

Spoon batter into prepared pan; sharply tap the pan once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake. Cut cake into 16 slices.

To prepare compote, combine cherries, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in extract. Cool. Serve with cake.

Yield: 16 servings

8 comments:

Nora B. said...

This recipe sounds great, and being lower in fat than the usual lemon pound cake is a bonus. I will try this next time I am in a mood for lemon cake, which happens very frequently. My favourite recipe so far is a french yogurt recipe. If you are interested, I posted it under "Low(er) fat baking" last month.

Lee Ping said...

Dear Mandy,

I am tempted to try your Cherry Compote recipe. My friend's neighbor has a cherry tree. She climbed up the ladder (with neighbor's permission, of course) and got me a bag of sweet dark cherries.

Perhaps I could reduce the amount sugar, since the cherries are very sweet to begin with.

p/s I got my premix from local Portland Asian Stores. The Indofood brand is more widely available than the Hup Loong brand.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Give me anything with citrus fruit and I'll be smiling forever - this is luscious, Mandy!

WokandSpoon said...

Hello! This seems like a really interesting recipe combining fresh mint in the cake! Lovely! I have so many recipes I would like to try but have no idea where to start ;-)

Suganya said...

Hi...First time to ur blog.....U have a excellent set of recipes.....specially ur baked goodies.....love them all..

Big Boys Oven said...

Your cake still look so rich and the cherry compote makes it looks so sexy.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks moist and I like the way you present your cake. Lovely!

Mandy said...

nora.b,
thanks!Sure I would love to try out your recipe!

leeping,
you are so blessed to have such sweet friend. Feel free to reduce the sugar. You can add more later if it's not sweet enough. The compote is also nice with ice-cream!

Patricia,
Ah, the citrus lovers reunite!

wokandspoon,
haha, I have a huge pile of to-try-list too. Sometime I wish I could show others the recipes and have them cook/bake for me.:p

sukanya,
thanks for visiting.

big boys oven,
thanks! your bakes look awesome too!

little corner of mine,
thanks!I copied the idea from the magazine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails