Friday, October 13, 2006

Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguine

I like Friday, because I can cook whatever I want without worrying about the next day lunch. From Sunday to Thursday, I have to make sure I cook enough so that OCT can bring the leftover for his next day lunch. Normally, I like to cook pasta or make pizza on Friday night.

Tonight's recipe is something that caught my eyes for almost 2 months now. But one thing leads to another, I haven't got a chance to try it until tonight. I will give it 3.5/5. It was spicy and creamy, but with plenty of room for improvement. It was ok, but we probably won't cook it again.

Time to plan for next week's menu. Hopefully this time round I can stick with my plan. One thing for sure, I need to make a mango cake for OCT birthday.

Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguine
Adapted from Cookinglight Sep 2006

1 cup water
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
6 ounces uncooked linguine
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 large red bell pepper, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Combine 1 cup water and broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Break pasta in half; add to pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes. Add shrimp to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until shrimp are done; drain.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until moisture evaporates. Add flour, seasoning, and salt to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in half-and-half; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add pasta mixture and parsley to pan; toss.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails