Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Playing with a new condiment: Chipotle- Orange Chicken Cutlet

Tonight dinner features a new condiment- Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce. I have seen this being used in a few recipes but never got round to buying it until a grocery trip lately.

Chipotle Chile is known for fiery hot, so I am actually expecting something really spicy for tonight's dish. Maybe Malaysians are more attuned to spicy food, I don't find the chipotle chile to be overly spicy. On the other hand, I kind of like the sweetness that the chile added to the dish.

OCT thinks the dish is quite good, but he doesn't want to know what condiments I have used. After living with me for 9 months he is finally confident that I am not going to poison him with some exotic ingredients...or rather, he has come to accept his fate. He has to wash down whatever I cook anyway, poison or not. hehehe. I am just kidding on the last part.

When I told OCT that I don't really like tonight's dish, he insisted that it was very delicious. To prove his point, he even refilled another bowl of rice. Well, what can I say? One man's meat is another man's poision? Maybe it's good that we have different likings. So that we won't fight for the same food. And let the other have MORE of what he/I likes. This will then lead to the deception that "She loves me so much that She gives up her delicious share for me" and vice versa. Who says couples must have the same taste?


Chipotle-Orange Chicken Cutlet

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate, undiluted (I used orange juice and hoisin sauce)
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (about 1 chile)
2 tablespoons water (optional)
2 cups hot cooked rice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (omitted, i hate cilantro!!!)
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
Melt butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat.

Combine flour, cumin, and salt in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in orange juice concentrate; dredge in flour mixture. Reserve concentrate.

Increase heat to medium-high. Heat pan for 2 minutes or until butter starts to brown. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Stir in reserved concentrate, 1/2 cup water, and chile. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. (Thin sauce with 2 tablespoons water, if needed.


Serve with chicken. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails