Friday, March 31, 2006

Shredded Carrot-Ginger Pancake

The new recipe for yesterday night was Shredded Carrot Ginger Pancake. I cooked it as side for our dinner, with Kraft Shake & Bake Parmesan Chicken. Big mistake! The chicken was dry and very salty. And the pancake? I think it tasted weird, but OCT thought it was ok. He is definitely the most accomodating person I have ever known, when it comes to food....

Ok, I must admit that I made a few modification to the pancake. Maybe that's why it didn't taste as nice as I thought it would be. Nevertheless, I used the leftover of the chicken and carrot pancake to make beehoon tonight and it turned out really delicious. OCT even said that he has not had food this nice for a long time. Now, what is he implying?

You can try the Shake and Bake from Kraft, at your own risk. But I strongly discourage you to do so, unless....I don't know! Unless you have nothing to do with your money and chicken breast?
As for the carrot pancake, maybe it's the user error, but judging from the effort and time of shredding carrot, I think I probably won't repeat it.

Shredded Carrot-Ginger Pancake

1 cup coarsely shredded carrot (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 eggs
3 tablespoons cracker meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
Cooking spray.

To prepare pancakes, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine eggs, cracker meal, and salt in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to carrot mixture; stir to blend.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat. Using about 1/4 cup batter per pancake, spoon 4 pancakes onto hot pan, spreading each to a 4-inch diameter. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until bottoms are lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; keep warm. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan; repeat procedure with remaining batter. Transfer to a plate; keep warm. Garnish with green onion strips, if desired.

After dinner, I felt really lousy and finished a tub of Edy's ice-cream. I decided to bake something to give my confidence a boost. So, I went for a recipe that I have eyed on since last week : Tiger Cake. This is how the final product looks:


Pretty huh? It looks exactly how it is supposed to look. BUT, a big BUT.....it tasted awful! So awful that I contemplated to throw it out of the window. What a bad day. First I had a lousy meal, then a recipe, which was recommended by 2 reliable sources turned out worse than mediocre.

Oh, and I must add that I had a really tasteless crumb cake from BN's Starbucks. It felt like a brick on hand, and tasted.....I can't find a word to describe it. In short, I felt cheated for what I paid. Though it's not a lot, but it's enough for me to get another cup of coffee. Whatever, yesterday was definitely not my day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails