Monday, June 04, 2007

Triple S pasta


Friends, I have some good news to share! After enduring a long period of vacation-less time, we are finally going to visit OCT's friend in Phoenix end of this week! While we are there, we will be going on a little road trip to Grand Canyon too. But before we go, I need to clear the content of my fridge. There are too many fresh produce I bought on impulse in our last trip to the farmer's market. Which I optimistically thought we would be able to gobble down by this Thursday.

You know what, sometime a little stress is good. It makes me creative. Instead of searching through piles of recipes to see if there is one using all the produces I have, I simply fire up the stove and started cooking without a recipe.


And I must say both OCT and myself are pretty satisfied with the end result! Then again, with the freshest ingredients on hand, how wrong can a dish turned out?

I decided to jot down the recipe so that when I am strucked with the same fresh ingredients in the future, which is highly likely, I will know exactly what to do with them. If you happen to have the same stuff in your fridge right now and don't know what to do with them, I encourage you to give this a try. Not that I think this scenario is remotely likely, but here's the recipe anyway.

Quite pleased with my creation, I am also submitting my triple S pasta to Ruth's Presto Pasta Night #15. Check out Ruth's blog and the round-up of Presto Pasta Night #15 this Friday for more pasta ideas!

Spicy Sausage and Shrimp Pasta

Half pound of sausage, I happen to have some salsiccia, so that's what I used
10 medium size shrimps, shelled and deveined
1/2 vidalion onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can(16oz) diced tomato
1/2 teaspoon sambal chilli (or any other hot sauce)
3 small sweet peppers, seeded and sliced
8 oz campanelle
1/2 cup of red wine
salt
pepper
brown sugar
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese (you can use parmesan or Parmigiano- Reggiano )

Heat about 3 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick skillet, add in the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Next, add in the sliced sweet peppers and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the peppers are soft.Then add the sausages,pinch them out from the casings to about 1-inch pieces, turn heat to medium high. Cook until the sausages are no longer pink. This will take another 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile cook the campanelle according to the direction on box until al-dente and drain.

When the sausages are cooked, add in shrimps. Followed by the diced tomatoes and sambal chilli and bring it to a simmer. At this point, you can season the sauce with a teaspoon of brown sugar, salt and pepper. Taste the sauce, go easy with the salt. It's easier to adjust the saltiness later. Pour in the red wine. Again, it's to your taste. You can add more, or less, or omit it altogether. Give the sauce about 1 minute to boil off some of the alcohol.

Pour the cooked campanelle into the skillet and mix well with the sauce. Stir in the grated pecorino cheese.

Serves 3

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

I love it for so many reasons...
1. my favorite 3 "s's" - spice, sausage, shrimp
2. the surprise factor of using different stuff each time you make a dish
3. it has pasta as a base (what can I say)

Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Related Posts with Thumbnails